5 Best Straightening Brushes For Curly Black Natural Hair 2023, And What To Look For
Straightener Brush Vs Flat Iron, What Are The Differences?
Here at That Sister we’re supported by you, our sisters. If you buy via a link on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission. This doesn’t cost you anything & it doesn’t influence the products we talk about.
There are several differences between a flat iron and straightening brush as highlighted below:
Degree of Damage Caused – the heating plates of the flat iron has more direct contact with your hair as opposed to the brush. Therefore, the flat iron is more likely to cause damage to your hair than the brush.
Amount of Time to Style Hair – straightening your hair with a flat iron takes longer as compared to the brush.
Efficiency – the flat iron is more compatible with thick and curly hair
Price – straightening brushes are usually cheaper than flat irons
Safety – you are more likely to get burned using the flat iron.The brush bristles protect your hands, hair and scalp. The brushes are also more child friendly.
Post Styling Hair Volume – the brush provides greater volume than the flat iron. The flat iron tends to leave the hair flat and lifeless.
Everyday use – the brush can be safely used on a daily basis with virtually no damage to the hair. Everyday use is not recommended for flat iron due to the amount of damage it is likely to cause to the hair.
How To Use A Straightening Brush
To achieve that perfectly styled hair using the straightening brush, use the following steps:
- Wash your hair – wash your hair using your preferred shampoo and conditioner. The style is more likely to last if your hair is clean.
- Use Heat Protector – Apply your preferred heat protector evenly to your hair and allow you hair to dry naturally. The heat protector assists in minimising heat damage to the hair.
- Dry your hair – ensure that your hair is completely dry (preferably naturally) before using the straightening brush. Wet hair is more likely to get damaged and or break. A blow dryer could cause excessive dryness to the hair.
- Temperature Selection and Styling – Plug in the brush and allow it to heat up. Once this is done, part a small section of hair and test the brush, starting with the lowest temperature, until the desired result is achieved. Once you have identified the right temperature to achive your desired look, proceed to straighten the remainder of your hair. For fuller volume, straighten your hair vertically.
Can You Use A Hair Straightening Brush On Wet Hair?
Your freshly washed hair needs to be styled and you’re in a rush. You need that perfect style and your mind immediately goes to your hair straightening brush, but I’ve got news for you… don’t even think about it! Applying heat to wet hair increases your hair’s chances of getting damaged.
Additionally, you run the risk of damaging the electrical elements in the brush. However, it’s not all bad news, you may be able to use your straightening brush on slightly damp hair.
Just bear in mind that not all brushes are designed to be used on damp hair. Do some research to see which ones can be used on damp hair before making a purchase.
Tips for Using a Hair Straightening Brush on Damp Hair
As we indicated earlier, it is not in your hair’s or straightening brush’s best interest to use the tool while your hair is wet or damp. However, if you must, follow these tips for the best results:
- Towel dry your hair – use a towel to remove the excess water from your hair
- Detangle – gently detangle your hair using a wide tooth comb or your fingers. It is important to note that hair is more likely to break when it’s wet. Also apply a heat protector at this stage.
- Straighten the hair – as gently as possible, pass the brush through small sections of the hair. Since your hair is damp, it is better to use a lower temperature. If your hair sizzles when you use the brush, then the temperature is too high. Don’t fry your hair, whatever you do!
Hair Straightening Brush Disadvantages
The following provides greater insight into the risks associated with using a hair straightening brush:
Melting of the hair – because the hair straightening brush can reach such high temperatures, it is possible to melt your hair if the brush is set to too high a temperature. Different hair types need different temperatures to be straightened. To prevent your hair from melting, start at the lowest temperature and gradually increase the temperature until you find the setting that straightens your hair the best.
Hair/bristle damage – Your hair could snag on the bristles of the brush. Apart from causing damage to the brush this could also cause split ends to the hair. To fix split ends, simply trim them off. Heat protector also assist in providing protection from heat damage.
Hair Straightening Brush Advantages
The benefits of a hair straightening brush are as follows:
- Temperature selection – you have the freedom to select the best temperature to straighten your hair.
- Allows for even distribution of heat as the bristles separate the hair while styling as well as makes the entire straightening process easier.
- It smoothes your hair while providing volume.
- The bristles massage your scalp during use which stimulate blood flow and promote hair growth.
- It reduces static electricity on your hair.
- It causes little to no damage to your hair.
Best Straightening Brushes For Curly Black Natural Hair, And What To Look For Conclusion
So now that you’re better informed about hair straightening brushes, you are now equipped to pick that perfect brush for your hair type. Bear in mind that excessive straightening can result in split ends and heat damage but a good heat protector can prevent all that drama. Are you a regular user of straightening brushes? How have they affected your beauty routine? Can you get through the styling process quicker and or easier? Are you new to hair straightening brushes and strongly considering getting one? Leave your comments and share your thoughts with us. We’d love to hear from you!
I have seen these and will give it a try. Anything that does the job in less time and that doesn’t cause damage has got to be awesome.
I’d recommend Karmin.
What is the best straightening brush for virgin African American women hair?
Best I have ever used is the Karmin.
Can this brush be used on permed African American hair also? Since I can’t get to the hair salon for a new perm I was wondering if this brush would help me?
Please help me, I need an electric brush for my dry, tangled and hard to comb, Ghanaian natural hair.
OMG! I am so glad I came across your page to discover what I was confused about on the hair straightening brush. You are now in my favorites and again, thank you.