Crochet Braids; How To Do It, The Best Hair To Use And More
Here at That Sister we’re supported by you, our sisters. If you buy via a link on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission. This doesn’t cost you anything & it doesn’t influence the products we talk about.
Crochet braids have gained a lot of popularity, especially in the black community. Many women, especially those with natural hair, love this protective hairstyle. You’ll be happy to know that crochet braids are quite versatile and at the same time, affordable. If there’s something you’d like to learn about crochet braids, then you’ve come to the right place.
Let’s start with a few quick facts about them.
- They’re cheap.
- They don’t take long to install (2-3 hours).
- They can last 4 to 8 weeks.
Now let’s learn more about crochet braids.
What Are Crochet Braids? And Are They Safe?
What exactly are crochet braids? That’s a good question! Crochet braids are hair extensions that are attached to cornrows using the crochet method. This is normally done using a latch hook. Some people also use a beader or a bobby pin to install crochet braids. Since the hair extensions are looped through the cornrows, there is minimal pressure on the hair and the scalp. This makes crochet braids quite safe.
Are Crochet Braids A Protective Style And Are They Painful?
For all of you have their doubts, crochet braids are a protective style and no, they aren’t painful. Although the definition of a protective style varies from individual to individual, the bottom line is, it has to protect the hair. The most common definition of protective styles is that a protective style should protect one’s natural hair from chemicals, harsh weather, and over manipulation. Crochet braids do exactly that. Most people worry that the synthetic hair will cut their real hair. This isn’t the case if you take proper care of your crochet braids, your hair will be safe.
Although crochet braids aren’t painful, tight cornrows can cause some pain. In this case, you can loosen the cornrows or undo them. Don’t proceed if you’re experiencing any pain.
Are Tree Braids And Crochet Braids The Same?
Tree braids and crochet braids are not the same.The difference between the two is the method of application. With crochet braids, a latch hook is used to crochet hair extensions through a cornrow. On the other hand, tree braids are cornrows plaited using the hair extension. For tree braids, the cornrow begins normally with a little bit of extension being added. As the hair extensions are being added, others are left protruding outwards making it look like combed hair. Finally, a knot is tied at the end of the natural hair to prevent the cornrow from unraveling.
Should You Get Crochet Braids? The Benefits
There are very many benefits of getting crochet braids.
- The application process of crochet braids is very quick compared to box braids and twists. It takes around 3 hours to have the hairstyle completed. The time taken depends on which style you’re putting on. Application time might seem a little bit long for those who regularly put on weaves. However, if you’re one of those people who love box braids and twists, then you know that 3 hours isn’t a lot of time!
- They’re cheap. What makes the cost of crochet braids less is the fact that you can use regular synthetic hair instead of human hair. This drastically reduces the cost. Another factor that brings down the cost is the how easy it is to do the crochet braids yourself. If you’re up for it, diy crochet braids will cost you as little as $20 for the complete look. That’s great considering that your hair will look like a thousand bucks!
- Your can easily achieve a natural look with crochet braids. The crochet method makes it look like the hair extensions are growing from your scalp. This gives it a great effect. Most people will actually think that the extensions are actually your real hair.
- Crochet braids make a great protective style. They also cause very little stress on the scalp since the hair extensions are only being looped through your braided hair.
- Crochet braids are quite versatile. There are thousands of styles to choose from. Your hair stylist can advise you on the styles that’ll look good on you. If you choose to do it yourself, all you need is a bit of creativity and of course, YouTube tutorials and you have lots of hairstyles to try!