Going to the Caribbean can be quite an adventure. That said, getting everything ready for the journey can be quite stressful, and the last thing you want is to forget those all important items… Bug spray anybody?
You’d be surprised by how much stress you’ll avoid if you know exactly what you need to bring long in advance. And with that in mind, we’ve compiled the ultimate checklist for when traveling to the Caribbean! Double check to make sure you add any additional things you’ll personally need, and if we missed anything let us know in the comments.
Travel Documents And Money Checklist
- Passport: You’ll need your passport to travel to Caribbean countries. Ensure that your passport is up to date and that it’s valid for the entire period you’ll be on vacation. It’s a good idea to scan your passport and print it out. Leave the copy with a trusted friend or relative at home and also maintain a digital one in your email address just in case.
- Countercheck Visa Regulations: Know the visa regulations of the Caribbean destination you’re visiting. Some countries require an entrance fee. If this is the case, put the amount of money required together with your travel documents so that it’s easy to pay the fees when you arrive at your destination.
- Take A Few Cards: Make sure that you can use at least one of the cards you have in the country you’re going to. You should also call your bank to inform them of your trip so that they don’t block your card when you try to make a transaction in the Caribbean.
- Carry Cash: It’s advisable to carry cash in your wallet. You’ll find places in the country you visit that don’t accept cards as a payment method. It will be a great idea to get the local currency of the Caribbean country you’re visiting to make things easier for you.
- Traveling Tickets: Whether you’re traveling by plane or by sea, ensure that you carry your tickets with you. Without these, you’ll be stranded.
Caribbean Clothing Checklist
Some of these are quite different than the normal every day clothing items you need:
- Carry-On Bag: Have a carry-on bag with an extra change of clothes and basic toiletries. If your other luggage gets delayed, misplaced or lost, you’ll still have some basic items with you.
- A Sarong: Don’t bother carrying a towel. It’ll only consume valuable space in your suitcase. Hotels and some Airbnbs also offer clean towels. Instead, carry a sarong, or two if you wish. You’ll use it to dry yourself after a swim and also as a wrap when you’re walking around the beach or resort. Since its small, you can comfortably carry it in your day bag.
- 3 bikinis/Swim Suits: You’ll need these when you’re swimming or just hanging out on the beach. With 3 of them, you’ll always have one to go to the beach with.
- 2 Sundresses: Sundresses are perfect for a night out or sight-seeing. Caribbean countries have a conservative dress code. Your sundress will be great when you’re not at the beach or resort and even when you’re going for dinner.
- 1 Pair Of Flipflops: You’ll find yourself wearing these during most of your stay. Choose a neutral color of flip flops which can match with anything you wear.
- 1 Pair Of Workout Shoes/Tennis Shoes: If you’re planning to work out or to go on hikes during your vacation, these shoes will come in handy.
- 1 Pair Of Sandals: These will be great when you’re sight-seeing or going for dinner.
- Underwear: Carry at least five pairs if you’re staying for at least one week.
- 1 Cardigan/Light Jacket: It can get a little chilly in the evenings so having a cardigan or a light jacket will be great.
- 3 Shorts, 2 T-Shirts And 2 Tank-Tops: These will form complete outfits and are also great for the beach when you want more cover.
- Light Raincoat Or Umbrella: For those days when it’s drizzling.